Thursday, April 8, 2010

Sarah's First Service

When I was much younger I used to dream like any other young boy about owning cool cars. I knew all the high end brands, Jaguar, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti and so on and I could identify them with only mere glimpses.

As I grew older the reality of the structure of life began to set in and the realisation of why these cars were still only dreams began to settle into my consciousness.

But this had never stopped me from car-gaping (aka car gazing, or drooling over sweet machines on wheels).

And long before I had gotten Josephine, the green Peugeot 306, I used to travel (utilise public transportation) via Maxi-Taxis (large taxis) to Port of Spain to get to work. This was a regular, until I started getting a lift into town with some friends.

On the occasions I would travel however, it would invariably be on the Priority Bus Route. Because of this, there was a house in Tacarigua that I would pass with an open yard that would always have on display a wide assortment of very attractive sports cars. I would enjoy that portion of the journey, though I did not know all of the cars at that time.

Years later during the consideration processes surrounding me undertaking this RX7 project, I had been investigating available Rotary mechanics and where they were located.

Lo and behold, to my surprise there was a rotary mechanic who lived at the same house where I would observe a wide range of sports cars, and so to me it seemed to be almost destined to be.

So I went and I spoke to the mechanic, Anil, who's a very cool and knowledgeable guy, about my RX7 considerations and he gave me some advice about what to look for etc and said when I did buy something I could bring it by and he'd take a look etc.

So post the drama of the first night bringing Sarah home, I made an appointment with Anil to service the car and check it out and dropped it off for him to do the needful.

During the same day that I dropped the car off by Anil for a routine service, unknown to me at the time, two brothers visited Anil to purchase a 3rd Generation RX7 13b-REW enginge for a project that one of the brothers was working on.

The older brother's plan was to put said engine in a Mazda RX2 RE and make a good attempt of reaching the moon, with the type of power that would be hitting the wheels.
I'll revisit that Mazda RX2 RE at a later date.

So Anil called me later on in the day to pick the car up in the evening when I was finished work. When I got there we chatted about the results of the checks he had done and he pointed out that the transmission seals needed to change, which is why I was getting a leak that I had but I could just keep topping up until I got to change it out. He gave me a link of someone to check for that. At the time it wasn't the highest priority since I planned to go manual anyway with Sarah.

Since his focus at that time wasn't so much on the older rotaries, he would help as much as possible but wouldn't be able to function as my primary aid. So as expected the real challenge in the journey going forth would be to meet the right people, those that were honest, knowledgeable and willing to assist.

And so I continued the reading I was doing, and joined a RX7 forum, www.rx7club.com and started searching for more technical RX7 resources on Trinituner and came across a crew called Mazda People United.

At the time there was just a very long, like 100+ pages long thread in the technical section of Trinituner, before it was split up amongst the most popular brands so aficionados could focus on their brand of choice.

See Mazda People United thread here: Mazda People United

Mazda People United Facebook page here: Mazda People United

So I decided, if I'm going to link with these guys I need to read from the first post by Turbodrive to the last until I made my first post. Gotta have my rights of passage dealt with properly so to speak.

And it was a very fun read. I came across legendary characters like Miggy and Five Forward and heard about these guys who had a laser sedan and hatch projects and about this Mazda RX2 RE project....sounds familiar huh?

I didn't know it at the time, but all these separate threads were all connected and would be revealed in time.


If you like how the story is progressing,
Leave Comments below or

Follow me on Twitter: MyRX7Story

Next: 3rd Gen's a Charm.

Previously:
Bringing Home Sarah (Part II).
Bringing Home Sarah (Part I).
Rotary Owner and Loving It.
Is She The One? (Part II)
Is She The One? (Part I)
Rotary Revealed
Frustrated Wannabe Amateur Tuner
Navigating The Financial Labyrinth
European Exodus
RX7 Genesis

See pics:

My RX7 Story Facebook Page


Follow me on Twitter: MyRX7Story

Email me at safeq@myrx7story.com

2 comments:

  1. good read, took too long to post up this one after bringing Sarah home part 2-ghostbusters

    ReplyDelete
  2. To everyone: Sorry about the delay.
    I was really busy and couldn't get a chance to sit and write the chapter properly.

    Next chapter coming soon.

    ReplyDelete