Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Bringing Home Sarah (Part II)

I did learn that day that that 2nd Gen RX7 could move.

I got to work up north and parked in our carpark, shaking the office with the depth of the exhaust note. I was happy like pappy.

Now to decide what's the plan for the music which I wasn't interested in. All I wanted was to learn about the engine and cars, so the music didn't concern me.

I consulted with Jerry, who's a music boss and I priced the setup and parted it out.
Sold the stuff to a couple friends and took that money and put it towards maintenance costs for Sarah, my new experiment.

So that evening after work, mih boy Jerry, said he'd follow me up the highway to make sure I got home safe. I was thinking, nah that's not necessary de car wukkin (there are no problems with the vehicle).

So we set forth from the office up the Churchill Roosevelt Highway to the East.
Everything going well, I'm taking my time, Jerry following in his car behind and just as we were coming over the crest in the highway, right around the Nestlé junction heading east, before the lights you know, in the middle lane of all lanes, the car cut off.

Everything.

Like no lights, no nothing.

I grind to a halt.

Jerry stops behind me and puts on his hazzard lights.

And now the two of us there in the middle lane at 7:30 pm on a busy monday evening trying to keep nearest the cars and not be sucked into the vortex created by the cars wizzing by.

We're there, no flashlight to use after popping the bonnet to troubleshoot. So it's like ok, what do we do.
Right we need to get the car over to the shoulder.

Easier said than done.
A foolish but necessary desire at that time. Not foolish because we were stupid, but foolish because of the time in which we were going to attempt to carry out this manouever.

So we gauge it as best we could.
Jerry positioned himself to push from the left side, I from the right, with one hand on the steering wheel.

On a good day, that 2600 plus pounds would not be easy to push from a dead stop but that day was not a good day, and we needed to move the car, it could not stay there.

So we utter some words of prayer and wait for a space in the light continuum created by the cars passing by with their headlights blaring.

And we were off....
Slowly...and then less slowly...and I'm steering and we're getting through and no cars are coming to remove us from the earth...and then as the gravitational forces began to act upon this once immobile automobile, we began to face another problem as the slight incline lent a kind hand to the car now in full motion.

We began to contemplate Newton's Laws of Motion.

His First Law states that: An object at rest tends to stay at rest, or if it is in motion tends to stay in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by a sum of physical forces.

Second Law: A body will accelerate with acceleration proportional to the force and inversely proportional to the mass.

Third Law: Every action has a reaction equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.

Now we had clearly understood the power of the first part of Law One and had applied a sufficient force, generated by the combined energy derived from our recent dinners and propelled into action through our then slowly moving but now moderately galloping feet, to overcome that inertia.

Now we were being faced with a combination of the second part of Law One and the full power of Law Two.

One, if we could not sufficiently apply an external force to the moving object, in this case a 2nd Gen RX7, it would continue to stay in motion with the same speed.
The combination was that this body, was accelerating in a manner that relied heavily upon the mass of said object.
In this case it was a very heavy broad 2nd Gen RX7.

We clearly had to quickly become pioneering Physicists of our time or that car was most assuredly going to meet with the insides of the drain it was very nearly almost directly upon.

And so with all the strength I could muster I stretched out my hand and leaned through the window to grab the handbrake that Mazda had so brilliantly placed on the far side of the transmission lever in the Right Hand Drive models, and thankfully I was able to reach it just before the world came to an end.

And when we popped the bonnet after catching ourselves, we saw that the battery cable had come loose and so we tightened it and proceeded to home with no further adventure.

And that's how I brought Sarah, my first RX7 home.


If you like how the story is progressing,
Leave Comments below or

Follow me on Twitter: MyRX7Story

Next: Sarah's First Service.

Previously:
Bringing Home Sarah (Part I).
Rotary Owner and Loving It.
Is She The One? (Part II)
Is She The One? (Part I)
Rotary Revealed
Frustrated Wannabe Amateur Tuner
Navigating The Financial Labyrinth
European Exodus
RX7 Genesis

See pics:

My RX7 Story Facebook Page


Follow me on Twitter: MyRX7Story

Email me at safeq@myrx7story.com

2 comments:

  1. "And when we popped the bonnet after catching ourselves, we saw that the battery cable had come loose and so we tightened it and proceeded to home with no further adventure."

    Breds, talk about ah anti-climax! Lol...
    I had the almost exact experience once, though I dare say almost running a 2001 Toyota Corolla into a drain doesn't carry the same drama and excitement with it as your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) glad you enjoyed the story

    More soon

    ReplyDelete