Monday, March 22, 2010

Is She The One? (Part II)

Having given the previous context of my balancing my desire for a kindred spirit with the high octane racing fuel flowing through my veins, I now set out to find the right RX7.
It was not an easy journey.

Now even though I knew I wanted a 2nd Gen RX7, and I wanted to build life with this beautiful woman, I knew it was not going to be a casual task that I was undertaking.

The statistics have shown that usually in the pursuit of these two diametrically opposed entities, that of a beautiful woman and a high performance sports car, many a great man has failed.
The success rate is low, as usually either the man is given a choice by the only speaking party in the two, of that red car out there or me.

Most men have chosen the latter as, they couldn't bear to see the car set on fire by the one speaking, in a fit of rage after the man said something like "I'm not comparing my sports car to you Baby."

Usually, I'd heard, women don't take too kindly to those words, and fail to see the correlation between the hordes of cash and time spent on what to her looks like any other hunk of metal and the thrill shown on the man's face as his spirit soars going around that corner at upwards of 120km, with the coilovers, strut bars and polyurethane bushings doing their work to keep that baby going.

So all this I knew and so just as a momentary consideration to calm the fears of the woman who I was now forming this relationship with, I decided to explore a nice simple family vehicle, owned by a friend of mine Garvin.

It was a simple, black, four door, with a slight wing on the back to add a little flare.
And as expected, the woman loved the car, and it was at that point that I knew that if this rotary experiment failed, I would have to settle for a nice simple grocery getting
Subaru WRX GC8 model.

So I did try, but since I still had to get a loan, the astronomical insurance costs couldn't be borne by myself at that point and it was back on the rotary trail, no holding back.

I hunted, came across 2nd gen shells, and would have to source an engine and build it up. I didn't think I could absorb that as yet, cause I didn't know anyone trustworthy at the point nor where to get everything.
So a running car was preferred.

I came across a very sweet 1st gen, blue with a series 4 (2nd Gen) engine in it, owned by a guy called Michael.
I thought about it, but there was going to be some work to do that I figured made just getting the right 2nd Gen worth it.

A Sunday afternoon I saw a red 1st Gen in the paper. Went checked it out and considered it.
But the owner, Jameel, was sending it to do over the interior and some other stuff and so I'd have to wait.

So we are in early November 2006 now when on the Friday of the same week that I saw the red 1st Gen RX7, after almost 2 months of active hunting had gone by, I saw a small ad in the paper for a 2nd Gen RX7.

So I called and I spoke to a guy called Tony, who said I could come and check him the next day, Saturday down in the southern part of the island.
And so said so done.
I made a road trip, with two of my boys, Jerry and Juma, whom I mentioned before down to south to see what I hoped would be the one.


If you like how the story is progressing,
Leave Comments below or

Follow me on Twitter: MyRX7Story

Next: Rotary Owner and Loving It.

Previously:
Is She The One? (Part I)
Rotary Revealed
Frustrated Wannabe Amateur Tuner
Navigating The Financial Labyrinth
European Exodus
RX7 Genesis

See pics:

My RX7 Story Facebook Page


Follow me on Twitter: MyRX7Story

Email me at safeq@myrx7story.com

No comments:

Post a Comment