Monday, March 29, 2010

Rotary Owner and Loving It

If you've been following the story thus far, you'll have seen the progression from the Lioness, Josephine, that sweet green Peugeot 306, to the Nissan Primera that got away because of the financial hurdles.

You'd have clearly observed how I was first introduced to the world of Rotary, born out of then frustration and bad mind into the potential for a fire spitting dragon of an automobile.

You also were with me through the interesting balancing act of dealing with fears of the lady I had begun to build a relationship with and ensuring that in pursuing this Rotary Dream that it not become a daylight nightmare.

You walked with me through the process of deciding upon the right one, which had its hurdles and now we are at the point where it's does this guy Tony who placed the small ad in the paper that week have the one?

So it's a normal Saturday afternoon and I link up with my boy, Juma to head down by Jerry in Chaguanas since he knows the Southland better than us and the last thing anyone really wants when going to check out a car is to get lost and end up reaching late or not at all.
It doesn't sit right with the seller if you can't organise your business to actually present yourself before for viewing of the automobile.

Now mind you, this was not the first trip Jerry and I had made to the southland to check a RX7.
We'd been to see a 3rd Generation RX7 in another part of south that was selling somewhat cheaply, only to find out subsequent to that trip that the guys selling the car were a bit shady.

So we were hoping that this was not a repeat performance, but the thing with buying a used car these days is you can never really tell. Shady people don't really advertise to you that they are shady, as that will have a negative impact on their profit margins and give them a bit of a public relations nightmare for their existing and future customers.

On the other hand, non-shady people sometimes are clueless as to what they have, and or have been swindled by some other shady person and you end up buying cat in bag, or pig in bag as people from other islands say, and now I as the new buyer have to deal with dat tantenna.(craziness, just a mess, for non-trinidadian readers)

So in this whole journey because I wasn't buying from the dealership and I knew very little, I was trying to do my best in this whole thing and hoping I wasn't put into a precarious position.
The lack of vaseline involved in some car deals does not render the buyer someone who is pleased post transaction completion.

So I get the directions from Tony and we jump in the car for the road trip.
So when we arrive in front of Tony's house, we see this blue 2nd Gen RX7 just sitting in his garage low down on her haunches. And though I could not articulate it at the time somewhere deep down I knew, yeah this is it, she's the one.

So we went through the usual things, price, issues, the seller's sales pitch, my questions, Jerry and Juma's scrutiny of the car to assist in keeping things balanced. Then Tony and I go for a test drive, and though there was a slight breakup in the acceleration I figured once all other things were proper I could resolve that with a little servicing.

So we arrive back at the house and finalise for a transaction the following Monday.

Monday comes and I take a taxi down to south in the early morning, ready to drive back up with my new baby. Tony and I meet, I give him the cheque and he gives me the keys and a receipt.

And then I sit in a RX7 for the first time as an owner and I feel good. I bounce the starter, hear that deep rumble from the dual exhaust barrels and drive off into the future...


If you like how the story is progressing,
Leave Comments below or

Follow me on Twitter: MyRX7Story

Next: Bringing Home Sarah (Part I).

Previously:
Is She The One? (Part II)
Is She The One? (Part I)
Rotary Revealed
Frustrated Wannabe Amateur Tuner
Navigating The Financial Labyrinth
European Exodus
RX7 Genesis

See pics:

My RX7 Story Facebook Page


Follow me on Twitter: MyRX7Story

Email me at safeq@myrx7story.com

No comments:

Post a Comment