Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Rotary Revealed

There is a famous story in Automotive History about Ferruccio Lamborghini and Enzo Ferrari over a clutch problem that Mr Lamborghini was having with a Ferrari 250 GT that he had purchased.

It is stated that Mr Ferrari in his accustomed arrogance, stated that the issue was not with the clutch but with the "farmer" who had a tractor building business.
Annoyed by this, Mr Lamborghini is said to have set out to build a V12 sports car because he was convinced that nothing Enzo Ferrari was doing, he couldn't do.

Outside of the Caribbean, this is referred to as starting a project out of spite. In Trinidad we call dat bad mind.

Insert me here into a version of that story.
I wanted to learn about cars, and started to approach options and all efforts had been thwarted and I was now on the brink of abandoning the idea all together.

I figured if I had tried to get a balance between an insurance friendly car, to get a loan to experiment, Primera, lost out on the long shot of the Altezza and was not seeing any other option presently, I might as well out of pure bad mind just go full out sports car.

Someone else may have just gone with an everyday grocery getter and called that Patrick, but I figured
"What I got to lose going all out?"

So I analysed my situation.
I knew that my shoestring experiment budget was not going to let me enter the high end market so I said well let me just see what is out there.

I decided to focus on a few clear elements.

RWD - cause it's just so much fun

Not too expensive - because eating Crix and wind isn't a scalable diet

Accessible parts - well that I'd need to meet the right people for

Not too old - cause not all old sports cars really have the right look

Interestingly enough, just around the Primera time I had seen a car that I had never heard about, this one ya,
1st Gen RX7  and wondered about why the back was so ugly, and what was this 13b business.

But the price seemed experimentery nah, and it was RWD so I said aight well since I don't know bout this RX7 thing, let me do a bit of reading before I venture any further and look around for sales.

So I searched through Trinituner and did some google searches and was reading fine and dandy and beginning to like this rotary engine thing.

It seemed not too exotic, but certainly worthy of exploring.
I liked the look of the later 1st gens, the 2nd gens and most definitely those 3rd gens.
So it was now to find the right one.

So one day I come across this 3rd Gen for sale.
I call the guy and he's up in Grande and I arranged to go and see it.

One of my boys, Damion and I went up on a cool breezy Sunday afternoon to meet the guy, Glen.
So we're there and checking out the car. He's explaining how he just rebuilt the engine etc, did over the interior and why he's selling etc.

Then he's like, let's go for a test drive.
And we pile into the car, with mih boy, kinda squeeze up in de so-called 3rd gen backseat.

And so we going and he accelerate lil bits and it was sweet, but den when we were decelerating I was hearing a bit of popping from the back, and Glen was like, "Oh yeah dat's just a lil fire"

I say NAH! De Car spitting fire!!!!

I must get me one!!!

So now for the Mathematics of an Advanced Level.
I tried all how to work out how to get that 3rd gen but I knew that even if I happened to get through, that after I drive from Grande, it would park up home cause I wouldn't be able to buy gas.

So I figured, well the 1st gen may be too old for my first option, and the 3rds were out of my range and so I'd try for a 2nd Gen if I could just find one...


If you like how the story is progressing,
Leave Comments below or

Follow me on Twitter: MyRX7Story

Next: Is She the One? (Part I)

Previously:
Frustrated Wannabe Amateur Tuner
Navigating The Financial Labyrinth
European Exodus
RX7 Genesis

See pics:

My RX7 Story Facebook Page


Follow me on Twitter: MyRX7Story

Email me at safeq@myrx7story.com

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes :), I remember that ride... I remember bending the corner at the police station sort of slowish and me thinking in the back seat "ok cool but nothing to make me go wild over", then I remember just as we passed the bus station in a flash feeling like my eye balls had hit the back of my head and bounced back into place.

    Sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah fun times for sure...oh my
    A lot has happened since then

    ReplyDelete